SpeedTouch™585

Pine Man 19:19 09 Jul 2007

Not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes:-

I have been using the above modem/router for about 6 months and every time my PC is turned off so is the modem.

As far as I am aware this has not presented any problems but I have read so many articles about whether or not to switch a modem off or not so I did some research. I have read suggestions that modems take up to a couple of weeks to reach their optimum performance and should never be switched off and others saying completely the opposite.

My manual doesn't help at all.

Does anybody know the definitive answer?

I am Spartacus 21:55 09 Jul 2007

I can't give you the definitive answer on this. However I tested my speed last night as follows:

Down = 2956.16 Kbps Up = 378.82 Kbps

I switched off my Router for an hour tonight due to the storms and just tested again at:

Down = 6357.31 Kbps Up = 378.77 Kbps

That speed is the 3rd highest recorded over about 3 months.

I apprecaite that line contention last night might be the reason for the relatively slow download speed but it's up pretty high now.

I'll be interested to know the answer on this.

Pine Man 09:15 10 Jul 2007

Thanks for your reply.

I have 2mb BB and on the odd occasion that I check it I find it is usually between 1900 & 1970 Kbps and I always switch it off when my PC's are not in use. I can't see that download speed increasing by very much even if I do leave it switched on all the time - even if I do drain the national grid ;-)

ambra4 13:54 10 Jul 2007

It is a good thing to power off the modem from time to time as it refreshies the router and the server port in the exchange,

Problems like power glichs on the phone line, exchange server port problems etc.

Pine Man 14:06 10 Jul 2007

Thanks for that you have helped me make my mind up - I'll continue to turn it off when PC's are not in use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?