speedtouch 576 problems

craigieb 14:22 08 Jul 2006

Hi guys,
I've just been given an old speedtouch 576 router from a mate. The speedtouch router came with an AOL account yet I use NTL and connect via ethernet (i.e. not ADSL).

Initially I couldn't get internet access so I reset the router which disabled the WEP encryption.

I know had net access, albiet unsecure.

After setting up the WEP I lost my net connection again, so this time rather than reset from the box I clicked 'restore to factory default'

In retrospect, I probably shouldnb;t have done this!

The router no longer even sees my internet connection. Unfortunately I can log onto the router however it states 'No DSL connection detected'. Now this makes sense since there is no DSL connection. HOwever it did initially work through NTL. How can I get the router to connect to the internet through my NTL box? do I need to update firmware drivers? If so how do I do this?

Any help would be gretly appreciated as I'm nearly ready to smash up he router!

Cheers
Craig

mgmcc 18:37 08 Jul 2006

As the Speedtouch router is a combined Router & ADSL Modem, you cannot use it with NTL's Cable broadband service.

By connecting its LAN port to the Cable Modem, you may be able to use it as a Wireless Access Point and connect *ONE* computer to the internet, but it will not function as a router to support multiple connections.

You need to disable the router's DHCP server, so that it doesn't try to allocate LAN IP addresses, and it should pass the IP address allocated by the ISP through to a single PC connected to it, either with a "wired" connection or "wirelessly".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?