Speedtouch 576 -AOL problem

angeltears 15:02 16 Jul 2006

Hi Im new so hello everyone!

I just purchased a speedtouch 576 router from AOL. I want to connect it wirelessly to my laptop, and this is my only computer. So far I have managed to set up a wired connection but when I take out the yellow enthernet cable the laptop will not connect to AOL.

I have tried talking to AOL, they are useless! I downloaded the XPSP2 and that solved the 'little or no connectivity issue'. I used the supposedly 'easy setup' cd aol gave me. But from reading another post here;

click here

I might be having a trouble with the internal adapter in my laptop. I cannot find the software for it. My laptop is an acer aspire 1680.

Someone please help, im ripping my hair out!

Carly

phil46 15:21 16 Jul 2006

I would have thought you require a laptop card otherwise your laptop is unable to pick up a signal,it works with Ethernet cable because it is wired direct.
Wireless networks are for two computers or more not just one,a router has to have a signal put into it hence the Ethernet connection then the second computer has i've already said will require a laptop card to complete the network.

angeltears 15:24 16 Jul 2006

But my dad has wireless connection and he only has a laptop.

angeltears 15:26 16 Jul 2006

oh and my laptop is intel centrino enabled and is picking up a signal. it just wont connect to aol without the wire. Thats why im guessing its a network key issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?