SpeedTouch 330 / Dr. SpeedTouch

Enrico21 22:58 01 Feb 2009

Hi - I'm trying to obtain line speed stats for my SpeedTouch 330 modem and believe you need to download a program called Dr.SpeedTouch to do so. It used to be available at click here but the link has now been removed (clicking on link takes you direct to Thomson website). A subsequent search on the Thomson website and via Google proves fruitless. Is anyone aware of any other USB Diagnostic Tool that may be available for this modem?

Many thanks for any advice offered.

brundle 23:03 01 Feb 2009
  Audio~~Chip 23:20 01 Feb 2009

click on the Yellow pyramid icon at the top of the page, and watch the result in the box to the left. Take note of the top box. Then add 1000 to the figure. so if you see 3457 this is 4457 which is about 4.5MB rounded off.

Audio~~Chip 00:22 02 Feb 2009

will that work for him/her ?

Enrico21 00:40 02 Feb 2009

Hi Brundle / Audio~~Chip - Thanks for your quick responses. I downloaded & ran Dr. Speedtouch from link provided but it failed saying "device not found". Co-incidentally, I have now just found a previous posting on same subject dated 5/9/08 which identified exactly the same problem. It appears from the postings that the program has never worked properly and any stats info, if obtained, is unreliable. This probably accounts for it being withdrawn. I have emailed Thomson helpdesk to ascertain what, if any, has replaced it and will post result if they can come up with answer. Many thanks once again for your help on this.

Quiet Life 12:52 02 Feb 2009

This site will give you actual speeds down and up. click here

Dipso 19:35 02 Feb 2009

It seems it's common for DrST to throw out errors. Were the line stats definitely not available, see click here

If you can get the stats in the format

Dipso 19:35 02 Feb 2009

It seems it's common for DrST to throw out errors. Were the line stats definitely not available, see click here

If you can get the stats in the format

Dipso 19:40 02 Feb 2009

ReceiveAttenuation_dB=
ReceiveMargin_dB=
SendAttenuation_dB=
SendMargin_dB=

then these are the actual stats your line is connecting at and are far more accurate then any speedtester.

Routers can be purchased very cheaply these days e.g. the Speedtouch 546v6 is available for £13.70 from click here They are far more reliable than USB modems and diagnostics can easily be performed.

Enrico21 22:14 02 Feb 2009

Hi Dipso

Thanks for info/link. I tried running DrST again but it failed saying “no SpeedTouch device could be found” – however, Device Manager indicates SpeedTouch 330 Modem is working normally (& I’m on the net).
I think I’ll upgrade to a decent router as, you say, they are more reliable than a USB modem and diagnostics can easily be performed.
Please consider matter closed and thanks to all who contributed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?