Speedtesters - Who's correct?

ened 18:39 06 Dec 2008

I am with AOL and they told me they want me to use:click here

However these two click here
always show the speed to be about 6meg when the frog has never gone above 3meg.

In addition click here tends to show slower speeds.

I just ran a test and Namesco & TStools showed 6meg whilst the frog showed 0.2 and thinkbroadband showed 0.6.

This was all in the time it took to run the tests.

What I am saying is that they all show totally different results so how does one know what is correct?

VoG II 18:48 06 Dec 2008

Who knows?

I like click here which is based on the time to download a largish file.

MAT ALAN 19:31 06 Dec 2008

click here

Might as well use this one as well, get another different result then decide to tell us what speeds you are supposed to get...

As an aside i think speed tests are a complete waste of time, there are too many variables to get an accurate reading.

woodchip 19:44 06 Dec 2008

try this one click here

beeuuem 19:57 06 Dec 2008

Internetfrog has never shown my speed to be above 3.5 Mbps. A test just now showed 2.88
Namesco show click here
and Speedtest shows click here
From a good server I D/L at c.a. 2500kbps so I know which one I believe and it ain't the Frog!

I am Spartacus 19:58 06 Dec 2008

Whichever test I use it shows a download speed of between 2 to 6.8Mbps and can vary by around 4Mbps over many days or even minutes.

I was getting a lot lower speeds but someone on here pointed me to the DMT? tool which allowed me to reset my BRAS connection and the speed improved from then (could well have been coincidence).

Do you have problems with your connection?

woodchip 19:59 06 Dec 2008

Are you running Wireless?

beeuuem 20:36 06 Dec 2008

No -why do you ask?

woodchip 21:56 06 Dec 2008

As my Laptop Wireless was running at less than half the speed of my wired desktop, i used a small program that brought it up to same speed as desktop

DieSse 22:00 06 Dec 2008

"What I am saying is that they all show totally different results so how does one know what is correct?"

They all are - inasmuch as they demonstrate correctly that actual speeds depend on many circumstances, most of which you have no control over.

beeuuem 23:13 06 Dec 2008

I don't think I'll get any improvement on my current speeds. My posting was only to illustrate that Internetfrog always seems to give a low reading, it always has on my computers, and that othere testers seem to be a little more accurate and consistent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?