Speedtester.bt.com

Whaty 22:52 15 Nov 2006

Thought I'd try to test my new broadband connection speed using speedtester.bt.com, I opened the site, entered my telephone number and after approx 1 - 2 minutes got the following error message:-

The IP address discovered on the network associated with your telephone number:**********, did not match the one we have logged from this browser/connection. Please check your telephone number and try again.

I've replaced my number with the *

I can assure you that I entered the correct number. It's a BT number and I'm on BT broadband. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Terry

woodchip 22:55 15 Nov 2006
  woodchip 22:57 15 Nov 2006

Also click here

Whaty 23:10 15 Nov 2006

Thanks woodchip....

birdface 23:15 15 Nov 2006

You can try, click here Very quick and easy to use.

beeuuem 23:49 15 Nov 2006

If you want to use the BT tester try using click here

Whaty 09:06 16 Nov 2006

Thanks again everyone. Tried the speed test in buteman's post and according to that I'm getting 680kbps download and 360kbps upload?

I appreciate I may not get the full 8Mb but even my hub suggests I should be getting 6Mb down and 480kbps up......

BT state it takes 10 days for the service to settle down and in truth I've only been connected for 8 days but, to only get 680kbps download speed..!

I'm at work now but hopefully I'll get chance to try again tonight.

Thanks again,
Terry

Dipso 09:24 16 Nov 2006

Persevere with the BT speedtest, it's the only way you'll find out what profile has been set for you. Until this relates to the sync/connection speed given in your routers stats your downloads will be limited.

Try it before you go to work in the morning or at an unsociable hour.

I was going to refer you to Thomo1's thread but I see you've already found it ;)

Whaty 09:56 16 Nov 2006

Dipso, thanks for your reply.

I followed the 1st link that woodchip posted and this leads to a thread where technotiger suggests that the BT speed test caused problems with his computer, you seem to be very knowledgable on this subject, what do you think?

Terry

Whaty 10:00 16 Nov 2006

PS I should add that tests I did (on BT's website) before ordering the BT service advised that I should get 3.5Mb give or take. If I was getting 3Mb I wouldn't have a concern, but to only get 680kbps....

Thanks again,
Terry

Dipso 10:17 16 Nov 2006

I have seen the post by Technotiger and maybe that's his experience but I've never heard of that happening before. It's only checking your connection afterall? You don't download or install anything and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to people if I had any doubts. All I can say is, I have used the test a few times and have referred others to it and no-one has reported the same problems. The only problem with it is it can't cope with demand!

If you look at Thomo1's post, he is syncing at 8128 and has a profile of 2000, this should be 7150 (7 Meg) and it's this and nothing else that is causing the slow speeds. Unfortunately getting this through to BT is the problem. I'm just wondering if you are experiencing the same.

When you get home check your line stats click here and post them on here. These are the best indication of what speeds to expect the BT guestimator isn't that accurate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?