Speeding up Vista

Stuartli 18:13 02 Feb 2008

Seems like Microsoft has been stung by some of the criticism of Vista - it's produced a Help page on how to speed it up...:-)

click here

Some of them are somewhat familiar.....

Clapton is God 18:19 02 Feb 2008

They seem to have overlooked the obvious one.

Switch back to XP.

Pineman100 18:47 02 Feb 2008

Good grief! Their magic tips aren't exactly rocket science, are they?

* Delete programs you never use
* Limit how many programs load at startup
* Defragment your hard drive
* Clean up your hard disk
* Run fewer programs at the same time

...even...

* Turn off visual effects

I thought Vista was supposed to be all about whizzy visuals. Now, in order to make it groan into second gear, you're supposed to turn them off!

I'm with Clapton is God. Stick with/revert to good old XP.

lisa02 20:44 02 Feb 2008

To quote the link.

"....but if your computer is just barely powerful enough for Windows Vista, it can be useful to scale back on the visual bells and whistles."

To quote you "I thought Vista was supposed to be all about whizzy visuals. Now, in order to make it groan into second gear, you're supposed to turn them off!"

They advise you to turn them off if your system isn't powerful enough for Vista. Microsoft cannot be criticised for your not having a decent enough machine to run Vista's extras... can they?

fishface113 20:48 02 Feb 2008

To be honest its really all about power! If your processor has enough bang then Vista does run well, albeit at a premium over XP. I think many of the retailers have caused this problem by shipping an awful lot of computers that really do not have a lot of performance. This is to my mind why so many people have complained. IT IS a very hungry OS, but in return looks and feels much better than XP. Dont get me wrong, I have XP on one machine and Vista on my main unit. I can use both without feeling hard done by.

But darn it with a 3.5GHZ quad core why would I worry about performance! Vista is perfectly quick on this machine.

As newer machines get more power, this will rarely be a debate I think. Anyway, as long as the machine works well, who cares which OS you use.

lester1 21:56 02 Feb 2008

My humble little Celeron 530 lappy runs Vista Home Premium with no problem.It loads and runs Vista as quick as my XP desk top.

anskyber 22:03 02 Feb 2008

To be honest there is nothing there which is not good practise, whichever OS you have.

The key with Vista is adequate RAM, whilst 1Gig is OK for the Premium versions 2gigs makes it fly along.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017