Speed up my PC!!

Allan-263226 12:37 28 Jan 2003

Hi guys,

I currently have a E-Machines 550, 1.6 P4, 256ddr, 40gb HD running XP Home.

When i first purchased the machine (only a few months back) it would boot up in seconds. Now on the other hand it seems to take forever.
I have used clean up, de-frag and all other tools available to me, including ashampoo which cleans registry, redundant dll's etc...

It still takes over 2 mins to boot, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mad

JoeC 12:39 28 Jan 2003

from Microsoft. Also try looking here for lots of " services " that can be disabled in WinXP
click here

Elrond 12:42 28 Jan 2003

have you disabled things you don't need at start up. Run msconfig then select startup tab an uncheck the things you don't need to start at startup

JoeC 12:43 28 Jan 2003
  hgrock 12:47 28 Jan 2003

mad_allan, i dont trust all those programs that clean registry and dll etc they cause more problems than they solve in most cases, if youe machine is running nicely and you have lots of HD space leave it alone next time. get rid if some of the icons on your desktop if you have a lot and all the ones on the taskbar u dint really need, in the stsrtup folder clear it out, then msconfig, and close down the progs. u don't to ron at startup. then put the windows disk in the cd drive and run a repair. also clear out all your temp internet and cookies files. good luck

Allan-263226 12:52 28 Jan 2003

Cheers guyz, as soon as i get home i will try cleaning the startup box in config and then tick box!! I have about 30gb HD space left, just unsure as to why it was slow at boot up but guys, excellent as usual!

Much appreciated

spikeychris 13:11 28 Jan 2003

Regcompact... click here fantastic little program that speeds up the boot time by compacting the registry. It really does work!

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires