Speed Difference in HDD's ?

Furkin 20:33 11 Jun 2010

I've been looking at HDD's today, anticipating getting one to go with a PSU that i'm after.

I've seen a few that are 'almost' identical,,,, apart from the speed.
One will run at 7200 whilst the other spins at 54/5900.
They can have anything from 3 to 11/16 ms.

What does this mean for my home computer ?
Why would I go for a slower model, for the same price as the faster one ?

many thanks

ACER T120 KM400. XPpro. 2Gb(max) Ram.

T I M B O 20:45 11 Jun 2010

Don't quite me on this but don't Acer use what's called "Proprietary Parts" which means you can only replace exactly what you take out ?

T I M B O 20:45 11 Jun 2010

quite = quote

woodchip 21:05 11 Jun 2010

7200 is best

woodchip 21:06 11 Jun 2010

Are these IDE drives?

gaucho. 23:59 11 Jun 2010

uses IDE hard drives. Go for 7200 rpm with a large cache, 8Mb or over for better performance.

MAT ALAN 00:02 12 Jun 2010

Why would I go for a slower model, for the same price as the faster one ?

Well you wouldn't would you, so just buy the faster one...

Strawballs 04:03 12 Jun 2010

My Acer has a Hitachi HDD in it

Technotiger 07:46 12 Jun 2010

I recently fitted a Samsung HDD in my Acer laptop.

AL47 08:42 12 Jun 2010

If you only have IDE connectors you nred to stick to only IDE drives

Faster is better for boot drive but I have a 5400 1.5tb drive for storage,

If you have SATA connectors that's better but I doubt you do.

The ms time is probably seek time, my 10000 rpm velociraptor drive has a 7 ms seek time while generally 7200rpm have 14 ms, obviously faster is better, ssd for example have 0.1 ms seek time

Furkin 08:57 12 Jun 2010

TIMBO:
Oh - I hadn't heard that.
Over the years I have changed the CPU cooler > changed a DVD reader to Writer > added another DVD Writer > added 2nd HDD > HANNS Monitor. Now have two of each.
Original HDD was WD 40Gb. I added Seagate 120Gb. (though I swapped 'em around - Seagate now being master). WD (D:\ = slave) only contains my CD collection.
Do you rekkon the case will only take a certain PSU ? (I don't mind drilling to fit another if that's all it takes. I did that to add the 2nd HDD.
If I really have to - i'll either start to build another unit, or get a 'bare bones' kit.
If I can't upgrade ACER,,,,, I won't buy the brand again.

WC:
My 'existing' are IDE. Bit by bit, I was hoping (after adding better PSU & app connections) to swap out the IDE bits for SATA ones.

GAUCHO:
see below.

MA:
I had assumed that "the faster the better", which is what I went for when adding the last HDD. I just can't understand why manufacturers make two speeds - at the same time - for similar money ?

SB & TT:
There was a 1T Samsung (SATA) available last week, for £43 - which I would have gone for 'if I had all the answers' then.

cheers folks

PS: B-in-Law just sent link to someones post on AV (TV) forum about PVR hdd's. Someone asked about replacing HDD in one. One reply was to go for a slower madel for pvr use ! I still don't know why ! Surely more speed is better for both applications ?!?!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?