speech recognition

granma.m 13:21 15 Apr 2010

Can someone please tell me if Dragon standard 10
naturally speaking is compatible with Microsoft Publisher 2003.If so what help is it other than actually typing.
thanks in advance
Moira.

Technotiger 14:00 15 Apr 2010

This Review might answer your questions ... click here

northumbria61 14:15 15 Apr 2010

You control your Applications with voice commands instead of using a keyboard or mouse. You would need a combined microphone/headset which are quite cheap to buy.

NUANCE the makers of this software sell this version for £79.99 (Electronic Download or Shipped DVD) but you could get it from Amazon.co.uk for £29.99 (on DVD)

Short Desc. -

With Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10 Standard, you can talk to your computer and watch your spoken words instantly appear in documents, email and instant messages. You can even surf the Web just by speaking! Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10 turns your voice into text three times faster than most people type, with up to 99% accuracy. It learns to recognise your voice instantly and continually improves the more you use it! Just use your voice to dictate and edit in virtually ANY WINDOWS APPLICATIONS, including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook Express, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and AOL

I personally use my computers own "built-in" Speech Recognition which you should be able to find in CONTROL PANEL - SPEECH RECOGNITION.

There is a short tutorial so that the program gets used to you voice and I find it works well for me and 99% accurate. Furthermore it is FREE.
and will get you used to using voice commands - if you like doing things this way you can always upgrade to "Dragon" if need be - but I have never found the need myself.

I don't use "voice commands" all of the time but they do come in useful for opening programs and saves on typing.

Give the FREE Microsoft Speech Recognition a tyr first - that way you won't have "lost" any money if you are disappointed.

granma.m 14:52 17 Apr 2010

thanks to all who replied. very helpful ad vice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone