speakers receiving broadcasts

kimjhon 05:02 16 May 2004

Hi

Bought a cheapo pair of PC speakers to replace the pair (now faulty) that came with the PC package.

They seem to be picking up the signals from the local emergency services.

Why do they do this, please? And how can I ensure that the next pair I will have to buy will not do the same?

one23 06:59 16 May 2004

The speaker leads could be acting as aerials . Keep them well away from other cables and try to avoid long horizontal runs.

holly polly 07:46 16 May 2004

hi being a radio ham and having to contend with possible interference on a regular basis ,there is many fixes that can be had ,firstly one 23 is quite right in saying that the cables can be acting like ariels ,it is possible their length are a direct multiple of the wavelength of the emergencey services you are recieving ,just by repositioning the cable you may null out the offending noise .
If this does not work ,goto your local electronics component supplier (maplins etc) and purchase two ferrite rings ,with a largest diameter as possible ,pass the cable through the ring as many time as possible ,and bobs your uncle no more interference ,incidentley you may only need one ring on the downlead to the computor ,as they are relatively cheap its worth buying a couple at a time -post back and tell me the results -regards -Hol Pol....

spuds 12:35 16 May 2004

Airwave signals can be very confusing at times.I use to dabble with shortwave and ham radio, and what one23 and holly polly suggests makes sound advice.

Many years ago, I had access to a major organizations telecommunications system. It was surprising at times, how we use to receive transmission breaks from North Sea and Atlantic trawlers. Very little we could do about it, except change our frequency channels.This same rule applied to any main locations to high powered radio and tv masts.Change of weather, change of airwave conditions.Things have improved with newer technology.

kimjhon 19:12 16 May 2004

Thanks chaps

I take it then, there is no correlation with quality. Just that,coincidentally, the cables happen to be a the wrong length.

Am off to buy a couple of those rings tomorrow. Will let you know if they work. V useful info. Once had a cassette tape recorder which did the same thing to a lesser extent.

holly polly 21:37 16 May 2004

bet theres many a story to be told ,eh spuds-regards-hol pol....

spuds 21:51 16 May 2004

holly polly--to true, but it wouldn't make the best sellers list (;o).

VCR97 22:38 17 May 2004

Some comments about using ferrite rings:
1 Put them as close as possible to the speakers
2 Don't use all 360 degrees of the ring. Wind as many turns as possible over about 270 degrees. This separates the start and finish of the winding and minimises capacitive coupling. Use sticky tape or Tywraps to fix the ends.
3 If one ring per lead improves things but doesn't stop the problem you can use two (or more) rings per lead. Stack them (like a stack of tyres) so that, in effect, you have one thick ring.Use tape or super glue to fasten them.

woodchip 22:57 17 May 2004

Don't think there will be that much wire on a pair of cheapo speakers

holly polly 11:30 18 May 2004

i suppose thats true then again theres allways the clip on type -hol pol....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?