Speakers not working!

dinglewolves 12:10 08 Mar 2009

I recently spilt a cup of coffee over my keyboard and pretty much destroyed it. As none of the keys were working i started pressing randomly. I sorted out another keyboard but now the speakers dont work. I know nothing about computers so i checked the volume was up high and it wasnt muted. Other than that i dont know what to do. Any help would be much appreciated.

Stuartli 12:36 08 Mar 2009

The first port of call is (normally) to go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Voice tab and ensure that Mute (first box) is NOT checked.

dinglewolves 12:40 08 Mar 2009

I've checked that nothing is on mute or that the volume is on low.

boon_intheuk 12:56 08 Mar 2009

Could you have pulled the speaker plug out of the back of the PC when you changed the keyboard? It plugs into the light green socket.

dinglewolves 13:00 08 Mar 2009

It did pull out but i plugged it back in to the correct socket that it was in before.

Stuartli 13:23 08 Mar 2009

In Device Manager, are there any exclamation marks besides the sound device (or on-board sound, which may be listed as AC '97)?

If so, you will probably need to reinstall the sound device drivers from the manufacturer's website.

dinglewolves 13:33 08 Mar 2009

Everything is as it should be. It all states that everything is working. Even the equaliser is moving up and down theres just no sound coming out of the speaker.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?