Speakers

recap 12:05 07 Jan 2008

Is it possible to use a set of HiFi speakers on a laptop. If so does the laptop require a certain type of sound card?

Thanks in advance, recap

Technotiger 13:23 07 Jan 2008

Full size hifi speakers would probably not work on a laptop, however, if the speakers are still connected to the hifi you could connect laptop audio-out to hifi.

Technotiger 13:29 07 Jan 2008

Laptop speakers ... click here

Laptop Soundcard, click here

recap 13:49 07 Jan 2008

Thanks Technotiger.

Computer speakers don't do the job required unfortunately. We have tried several different ones but they don't give the right quality of sound needed. They are for my son who is studying music production at University.

Technotiger 14:58 07 Jan 2008

The soundcard in my link above should make all the difference.

DieSse 16:13 07 Jan 2008

You need more than just speakers to connect to a laptop - you need an amplifier too. That's why computer speakers all have amplifiers built-in to them (hence the mains cable on them to power the amplifier).

So you have some choices.

A decent set of computer speakers (and you can get good ones).

An amplifier which you feed into from the sound card, plus separate hi-fi speakers.

If you already have some speakers you want to use - then you need an amplifier. Sound cards, by and large don't have amplifiers on them - as they¡re still meant to feed amplified speakers.

If you're into hi-fi - don't you already have an amp?. This would probably suit well at a budget price point. click here

Should be available from many suppliers.

As an alternative, try a really good set of headphones - plenty around in the £50 to £100 price range with excellent sound. Has the advantage of not annoying the neighbours!

recap 20:08 07 Jan 2008

Thanks Technotiger for your further input.

DieSse,
thanks for your information. I have my own Hifi set up [Denon amplifier, NAD CD player, Thorens TDC Mk11 deck with Mayware formula 4 arm which has served me well] unfortunately my son who is at Leeds University has not got an amplifier.

My son has a good set of headphones, but headphones alone are not enough for him as he requires to hear the sound around a room.

It looks like I will have to get him a seperate amp and speakers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?