Sparklies on Windows Start-Up - Geforce 7900GT

Grima_Wormtongue 10:42 27 Feb 2007

Hi

I have for the second time in about a month had 'sparklies' appear in the center of my monitor on Windows boot-up to desktop. The monitor flashes several times and I am unable to click on any icons, to restart the machine and eventually the screen goes black!

After doing a 'hard reset', everything appears fine. I have monitored the GPU temperature and whilst under no load it is 45 degrees c.

My initial thoughts were that the graphics card is overheating, but the problem does not appear after playing any games like Half-Life 2 or Supreme Commander! The temperature of the card goes to 52 degrees c, during gameplay - but is well below the 125 degrees c 'slowdown' threshold on the Nvidia control panel.

I am running a AMD 4800+ with a 550 watt power supply. Could it be a faulty power supply?

Any help or advise gratefully received.

Many thanks

Totally-braindead 13:58 27 Feb 2007

It could be the power supply, at boot up when windows starts it can demand more power to fire everything up. You could try disconnecting a few things temporarily such as the optical drives, any secondary hard drives etc and see what happens. Of course even if that fails to make any difference there is still no guarantee that it isn't the power supply as things like the graphics card require a good constant power unit.
If you haven't got a good quality branded power supply its not a bad idea to upgrade it anyway, even if turns out not to have caused the problems its still a worthwhile upgrade and if you choose a higher rated one you can keep it and use it on your next PC further down the line.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?