spare hard drive as back up disc says full on backing up

trish1997 08:44 15 Jan 2014

The spare hard disc I use for backing up. I have formatted the Disc so I know there is enough room on it. After 7 hrs backing up each time, I cant complete the back up as my pc says there is not enough room on the back up drive even though the spare disc is bigger in space than the pc I am trying to back up. Please help as I have no back up on my pc and I have lots of sentimental pictures and videos on it

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:54 15 Jan 2014

what software are you using to do your backups?

trish1997 10:16 15 Jan 2014

I am using windows 7, is there any other way?

trish1997 10:19 15 Jan 2014

its on my control panel and a flag also comes up saying there isn't enough space on the hard drive, I am currently compressing the hard drives c and d on my pc to hopefully save some space, not sure if I am doing the correct thing just trying what seems to be logical to me.

bumpkin 10:53 15 Jan 2014

This is free and easy to use click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:56 15 Jan 2014

Don't really like compressing files on c:

WIndows backup is not the best of systems - personally I pay for Acronis but there are free programs that will do a better job then windows.

Easus here

trish1997 10:56 15 Jan 2014

Thanks Bumpkin, will try that :)

wee eddie 13:59 15 Jan 2014

also, please tell us what the actual amount of space is available on the old Hard Drive as well as the size of the new Hard Drive.

lotvic 14:11 15 Jan 2014

I also am against 'compressing' drives as it seems to cause problems.

If it's the personal Data files in My Documents, Pictures, Videos, files etc. It's easier to just copy them to another drive and not use a backup program. You could copy a few folders over at a time if you have so many, then you wouldn't be stuck for over 7 hours waiting for all of them at once.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone