spam/spoofed email using my email/domain name

ajm 10:02 10 Apr 2008

Over the last few days I have been receiving a lot of "failure notice" and "undeliverable email" to my email address. It seems that my email address has been forged and spam/unsolicitated emails are being sent using my email address.

I am worried that this willl cause genuine emails not to pass through other people's servers as my domain name would be blacklisted.

Is there any practical solution to this?

johnnyrocker 10:09 10 Apr 2008

fraid not as it would seem that someone with your e mail address in their address book has become infected and is mailing out as everyone in that book, but because your mail is genuine the 'bounce' comes back to you.

johnny

walesrob 10:33 10 Apr 2008

You could implement an SPF policy on your domain - it may not stop the spam, but it will help.

click here

SPF is a txt record in your DNS record that basically tells recieving mail servers who is authorised to send email from your domain. If a mail recieved is not authorised, the server should either reject it or at least tag it spam.

Are these emails all addressed to one email address only in your domain? If not, turn off the catch-all function is you have one.

ajm 10:39 10 Apr 2008

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?