Spammed - Holding back the tide

javaBalls 23:27 16 Oct 2006

I got spammed by robots from harvesting my email address on my website.

I know I was stupid to put my email address on there. I know of the work around e.g use and image, use some javascript to fool the robots.

However my question is this, will my email address also be spammed? I would quite like to use again it but I may just block all emails. Shall I just move on and use another email address?

The email address was info at mydomain.com for general enquiries.

I could easily use another but I just wanted to make sure there was no way back for that email address.

AndySD 09:27 17 Oct 2006

I use Trends Anti-Spam click here which is free and so far very good.

javaBalls 09:33 17 Oct 2006

My Gmail account filters the spam out very accurately.

But I always feel the need to check it just in case. So I'm not looking for a better anti spam software.

Once these 'people' have my email address will they ever let go?

Forum Editor 17:55 17 Oct 2006

Maybe, but maybe not.

Spammers know that most people with websites have catch-all mailboxes, so 'anythingatall @ yourdomain.com will automatically be sent to your primary mailbox.

That means no 'harvesting' has to happen at all - spammers can simply send mail to anything @ anydomaintheylike and it will almost certainly turn up in somebody's inbox.

javaBalls 10:27 18 Oct 2006

yes I noticed that. Often they send emails to sales, test, webmaster @ mydomain.com

However for this domain they have only been targeting info @ mydomain.com

I'm going to remove the catch all feature and just forward a few specific email address. I might have to come up with new addresses that are not so common.

I regret putting the addess on the website. That was very stupid of me.

Amadas 18:12 19 Oct 2006

Theres a couple things you can do.

Replace the @ sign with @ within your code.

In my experience, spammers know that most sites will have a 'info and/or sales' email account and will automatically begin to spam it. Try using something not so generic. ie; [email protected]

Also ensure all your email addresses within the site have @ as the @ sign. Even pages you've archived or placed in 'old site' folders. Those spam bots will scour every page and link on the site.

If you have admin access or control panel access, try editing the default email or catch all address to be a 'black hole'. This will automatically delete any improperly named emails to the site.

Now that the info account is getting hit, this will continue until the end of time. You will need to go into filters in mail admin and place keywords you find in the 'subject' and 'body' of the spam emails. Be aware though, spammers are becoming more clever by purposely misspelling words to avoid the filters.

For awhile, I had reported every spam to spamcop.com and over time they subsided.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Amadas

Amadas 18:14 19 Oct 2006

lets try this again.

the @ sign replaced with & # 64;

Just skip the spaces. I need to do that so the server didn't mistake it for the @ sign.

Amadas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?