Spam sent to Hotmail contacts

tonyq 22:20 14 Mar 2010

as the title says,it seems that spam emails have been sent to my Hotmail contacts as though I had sent them. I have run anti virus (McAfee),Superantispyware and Malwarebytes,both in normal and safe mode,none of them finding anything. Please can anyone advise what to do next.

eedcam 22:41 14 Mar 2010

Change your password might do it andsign out after each session til it shows no furthere hacks

DieSse 23:54 14 Mar 2010

Change the password - AND make it a difficult password to guess/crack.

tonyq 16:12 15 Mar 2010

I will Change your password ect as suggested, and see how it goes. Thank you.

Woolwell 16:59 15 Mar 2010

Hotmail accounts get spoofed/hacked with e-mails being sent as if they are from you. IMO it is one of the drawbacks of hotmail.

eedcam 18:53 15 Mar 2010

True Woolwell but first time a bad run in 12 years not exactly

audeal 20:41 15 Mar 2010

It is not only Hotmail this happens to. I have had this on almost all the IP's I have used over the past 10 to 15 years. Just Delete them and they will eventualy stop.

morddwyd 09:03 16 Mar 2010

This morning my Spam folder is full (50+) of Hotmail non-delivery notifications, and it's not unusual to get such an input from time to time.

I've never used Hotmail in my life.

tonyq 16:38 16 Mar 2010

Just like to say I have used Hotmail for about 13yrs and this is my first major problem, I may be one of the lucky ones!,I also did not know till now that email accounts could be hacked when not in use or the computer not switched on. Life is full of experiences.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?