Spam and more Spam

Enoch 11:17 24 Apr 2006

I am currently getting a mass of Spam daily. I have Norton Ant-spam installed. My Anti-Spam box fills up and has to be emptied. Is there ANY way to get Spam stopped or deleted without me changing my email address.

Stuartli 11:20 24 Apr 2006

Your ISP may have an anti-spam service but, ironically, although it is the supplier of such unwanted messages, charging to stop it always smacks to me of opportunism.

It's my view that ISPs should filter out as much spam as possible before it is even sent out.

Stuartli 11:21 24 Apr 2006

I use Mozilla Thunderbird, whose Junk filter can be "trained" and is highly effective.

All that is required is to empty the Junk folder every so often.

VoG II 11:23 24 Apr 2006

Try mailwasher click here but delete, don't bounce.

Enoch 11:53 24 Apr 2006

VoG,
Mailwasher, looks good, but please advise why not bounce, only delete. I will take your advice, but I am now curious as to why.

Stuartli,
My Norton Ant-Spam puts Spam into an Spam mailbox and I can delete from there. Almost no Spam gets into my inbox, so Norton is filtering satisfactorily. I just want to stop it even arriving on my PC

Belatucadrus 12:08 24 Apr 2006

Bouncing is a waste of time, spammers do not target or refine their mail lists as it's not cost effective. So even if it registered with them that yours is a dead e-mail, they aren't going to do anything about it. All you're doing is loading the servers with more rubbish.

Enoch 12:17 24 Apr 2006

Belatucadrus

Understood. I now realise that bouncing means that I am would be producing the same amount of email traffic in direct proportion to my receiving Spam and therefore filling up the Internet with more, unnesessary rubbish.

Thanks

Stuartli 14:45 24 Apr 2006

Then a new e-mail address is probably the answer - a pain I know in many cases.

Otherwise if Norton Anti-Spam is doing its job satisfactorily the only alterntive does seem to be checking if your ISP operates an anti-spam service.

Enoch 20:49 24 Apr 2006

VoG and Stuarti

One further question on the subject of Spam. Before I download Mailwasher, can I continue to run my Norton Anti-Spam alongside MailWasher or will one give the other one a problem.

VoG II 20:52 24 Apr 2006

They should work quite happily together. Mailwasher spots the spam on the server. Norton only acts when you download from the server. You should find that the amount of spam that you receive, and treated by Norton, will decrease dramatically once Mailwasher has learned what you regard as spam.

Enoch 11:51 25 Apr 2006

VoG,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Unfortunately life sometimes gets in the way of the PC

Thanks for your help and advice. I will now be installing MailWasher and hopefully, between Norton and MailWasher the major of my Spams will vanish. It was going to create a minor but annoying problem if I had to change my email address.

Again, thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires