spam made millionare? ( i cant stop them)

The GnoMe 13:44 20 Dec 2003

i recently keep getting emails from people all telling me they can make me a millonare, they vary greatly but here is just one, how do i get rid

'Attention:

Permit me to inform you of my desire of going into business relationship with you. I got your name and contact from internet and i prayed over it and selected your name among other names due to its esteeming nature and the recommendations given to me as a reputable and trust-worthy person that I can do business with as per there commendations. I must not hesitate toconfine in you for this simple and sincere business.

I am Miss Rebecca Faith Gyasi, the only child of late Mr.and Mrs. Joseph Ahmed Gyasi. My father was a very wealthy Gold Merchant in Obuasi the Gold Capital of Ghana, my father was poisoned to death by his half brother on one of their outings on a business trip. My mother died when I was a baby and since then my father took me so special. Before the death of my father on November,2000 in a private hospital. He secretly called me to his bedside and told me that he has the sum of US$25Millon dollars (Twenty-five million dollars)which he used my name as the next of kin in depositing the funds in europe. I also find out that it was because of his wealth he was poisoned to death by his half brother. The fund is deposited in a Security Company in Europe, please you have to signed a Binding Agreement with me by a lawyer that when the funds reaches your destinations i will not be denied of my share.

Please, I am honourably seeking your assistance in the following ways.
1. to provide a bank account into which this money would be transferred.
2. to serve as a guardian of this fund since I am only 25years.
3.To make arrangement for me to come over to your countryto further my education and to secure Residence permit inyour county.

Moreover, sir, I am willing to offer you 25% of the total sum as compensation for your effort input after the successful transfer this fund into your nominated account overseas. Further more, you should indicate your option towards assisting me as I believe that this transaction could be concluded within fourteen(14 working days).Signify your interest in assisting me.If you are ready to assist me i will be very greatful.You can also reach me through my alternative email:[email protected] . I promised to be honest and trust- worthy,i will also advice you to keep the transaction TOP SECRET AND CONFIDENTIAL.this is on Security Ground.Waiting in anticipation to hear from you soon.

Thanks and God bless you.

Miss. Rebecca Gyasi'

Jester2K II 13:47 20 Dec 2003

This is the classic 419 Nigerian Scam

I would forward copies to the ISPs from the e-mail

So send it to abuse @ hknetmail . com

Also check where the e-mail came from as they now tend to send from one account but want answers sent to another one. Send to that abiuse @ ISP . com address to.

Then just delete it. You can't stop it arriving any more than you can stop someone sending a letter.

Forum Editor 13:53 20 Dec 2003

and in it they do nothing but deal with these emails. Tens of thousands of people get them every day, and there's very little that any ISP can do about it.

The police try to follow up on as many as they can, but they'r woefully under-resourced and under-funded.

My advoce is just to delete the email and carry on - that's what I do.

Jester2K II 14:00 20 Dec 2003

The reason i would advise sending the abuse e-mails is the ISPs might shut down the accounts. (They mainly use free accounts like yahoo, hknetmail and Hotmail) If a thousand e-mails are sent out and then the accounts are shut down then the Spammers are inconvenienced and who knows if someone replies maybe the Spammers will never get the reply....

I realise the ISP will not chase the Spammers but at least they might delete the accounts they use...

Indigo 1 14:18 20 Dec 2003

Qoute from Langa.Com...

"Here's the hands down winner - Mail Washer. Available from click here . Written by a young man in New Zealand, it's donation ware (you like the program, you send him money). Easy to configure, has a "bounce" feature, which is a great spam deterrent, and very little maintenance. My spam has gone down from 200 or so a day to about 10 - I'm lovin' it."

Hope you find it useful.

Jester2K II 14:21 20 Dec 2003

a "bounce" feature, which is a great spam deterrent,

No its not. Most spam doesn't come from the address it says it does. Even if it does 99.9999% bounced messages just get deleted. Use Mailwasher (i do) but only to delete.

Indigo 1 12:02 21 Dec 2003

I've never had to use it myself (thankfully) I don't seem to get much unsolicited spam not even in my Hotmail account. I did go through a period where I would get a couple per day but after reporting them to [email protected] it all stopped.

I regularly run ant-spyware and anti-adware, I also use Zone Alarm to control all information in and out and now get less than 4 spam e-mails a week ! And they are only in my Hotmail account, but I get zero spam in my main account !

Whenever I go to a new site that requires an e-mail address I use MAILINATOR.com which is a disposable instant no registration e-mail service.
Just give your e-mail address as "yournickname"@mailinator.com and go there to check for mail, if all seems ok you can give your real e-mail address later.

Jester2K II 12:52 21 Dec 2003

Ooooh top idea.

Perhaps you might want to start a new thread on that telling people about it.

Cheers

Indigo 1 14:01 21 Dec 2003

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone