Spam from a legit address!

Diemmess 17:16 13 Nov 2006

I run a simple web site of information about our Parish Council and village.

When launched it contained links which would forward email to the proper recipients ... big mistake.
There was an immediate increase of spam to all those with links.
Within a day or two all links were removed except to the Parish Clerk who was happy to continue as the only contact.
Now I notice, there is a proportion of spam which has a random start leading to @domain etc.

I have phoned the host, got nowhere in Darjeeling or Mbai except to be asked to submit a ticket on their support address - a reply within an hour. (No reply after 6 hrs)

I know I'm impatient, but if I remove the last link for email forwarding, will that stop the nuisance or is it too late?

PurplePenny 17:29 13 Nov 2006

If it starts with random letters/numbers where the username would usually be before the @ then it is your domain that has been harvested and that can happen without the link.

I get this kind of mail for domains that don't have web pages associated with them so there are no links to be harvested.

Your web host may offer a "black hole" facility which means that any mail that is not addressed to a bona fide account will get dropped into a black hole and not delivered. But that does mean that you have to be sure to set up a mailbox or redirect for every variation to which a genuine e-mail might be addressed (e.g. [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]).

Diemmess 17:56 13 Nov 2006

In truth I feel the link to our Parish Clerk is not necessary and "come the dawn" I will delete it from the domain anyway.

I'm impressed by the way that Aol's 'advanced spam filter' diverts all my spam into a self limiting folder.

It does give me a chance to legitimise any that are trapped there.
It works so well that I thought I was out of touch with everyone once I enabled the facility.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?