Spam from India, using my domain name

grumpy-git 19:21 25 Aug 2006

I keep getting spam from:-

which is from an ISP in India. The annoying part is that they are using my domain name with words like register, admin, support, service or info in front of the @domain-name.

I have sent the ISP many copies of the e-mails with all header info but they never reply, and the spam keeps coming.

Any suggestions?

g-g

grumpy-git 09:19 27 Aug 2006

I take it nobody has any suggestions on this?????

VoG II 09:25 27 Aug 2006

Mailwasher click here

€dstowe 09:32 27 Aug 2006

I think you made an error in replying to the messages and if you had ignored them, they would most likely have just gone away.

Without knowing any more details, it seems that you have innocently become involved in a scam to try to make you pay to own something that you already own - a bit like the tories selling nationalised industries back to the people that already owned them.

Something similar happened to me a few years ago. I didn't respond to the messages and after a time they stopped although there is an occasional one but that gets stopped in my spam trap.

grumpy-git 09:53 27 Aug 2006

Thanks for the responses.

Re Mailwasher (was it the wrong link you added?) I don't really need that.

As to replying to the messages, I haven't done that. Not even opened the e-mails, just looked at the internet headers etc. The e-mails will go to the same place as the rest of my spam, but I wonder how many other people are getting the same e-mails, supposedly from me?

They say things like "we have temporarily suspended your e-mail account" etc.

g-g

€dstowe 09:57 27 Aug 2006

They're trying to get a response.

Almost any email with a title including the words "suspended" and "account" will be a scam to make you reveal details, usually financial, to enable them to part you from your money.

Chuck 'em out and ignore them.

grumpy-git 10:26 27 Aug 2006

Thanks Edstowe,

I'll just delete them, just hope that millions of other people around the world don't think it is me sending the spam.

This is the ISP where the spam comes from:-

inetnum: 59.88.0.0 - 59.99.255.255
netname: BSNLNET
descr: NIB (National Internet Backbone)
descr: Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited
descr: Sanchar Bhawan,20, Ashoka Road, New Delhi-110001

and they have ignored every e-mail I have sent them.

g-g

Forum Editor 10:47 27 Aug 2006

I have been receiving about thirty bounced emails a day. I haven't sent the mesages, someone else has done that, using me as the return address.

There's nothing you can do about this, apart from deleting the messages and hoping it will soon stop.

grumpy-git 11:22 27 Aug 2006

Thanks FE, looks like we all have these problems.

All down to spammers & ISP's who can't be bothered to trace where the spam comes from.

I'll mark this as resolved.

g-g

grumpy-git 11:32 27 Aug 2006

They came from (all at my domain name):-

admin
administrator
info
mail
register
service
support
webmaster

This part of the e-mail says it all:-

This mail contained a virus or a file violating the mail policy.<br>
The file has been repaired or deleted.<br>
<br>
Hint: most infected mails do not originate from the given sender address.<br>
Notifying the sender does not make sense in these cases.<br>

g-g

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?