Spam Help

WiLL-A 15:00 27 Sep 2003

Recently I recieved a junk email that I didnt sign up for. At the bottom of the message it says that I can opt out of further emails by replying and putting REMOVE in the subject line which I did. But today I received a notice from [email protected] stating the following:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at smtp.btinet.net.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

To me that sounds like an odd and amaturish statement. The original email was from [email protected].

Does anyone know who I can report this to or how I can block any further emails from this place without having to resort to using software to deal with it?

bremner 15:04 27 Sep 2003

The point of the type of e mail you received is to obtain an acknowledgement of any type. The sender then knows the address is valid. It can then be bombarded with spam.

All these type of e mails should just be deleted NEVER reply in any way.

krypt1c 15:50 27 Sep 2003

As bremner says you should never reply to unsolicited mail. It just confirms it's reached a real address. The reply you got is just an undeliverable mail message. The sender of the original mail will have all sorts of procedures in place to prevent your reply getting in. You could block the sender, although these are very often once use addresses. If you are using outlook select the message you want to block, select messages from yout tool bar then select block sender.

WiLL-A 20:14 27 Sep 2003

Got Mailwasher Pro 2day. Think that i will stick with that from now on.

spuds 20:59 27 Sep 2003

This an ongoing problem, which is discussed many times over the internet.If you do not reconize the email address or senders details, bin the thing. To reply, can only lead to further junk mail heading your way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017