SPAM Explosion

Macaonasa 19:47 26 Nov 2003

On the day the British Government announced the introduction of anti-SPAM legislation, my SPAM intake exploded from a weekly average of 6 to 18 per day. The Americans have just announced similar legislation and, surprise surprise, I've just received 76 SPAMs today.

I know many felt these measures were toothless but I didn't expect them to dramatically multiply the junk.

Forum Editor 19:55 26 Nov 2003

have found you there'll be no let up. I run three separate email accounts, and was receiving over 100 spam messages a day on each of them. IDG Communications - the magazine's publishers - have now installed anti-spam measures on our mailserver and my Forum Editor address hardly receives any spam at all.

Both my private and my business addresses are now also protected by anti-spam software on the server, and the spam problem has all but gone - it's a bad day now if I get half a dozen. I strongly recommend that you find out if your ISP can offer server-side spam protection - it's worth the few extra pounds they might charge.

i've noticed the spam hitting my inbox has multiplied by at least 5 -10 , its about time these people were prosecuted for doing this cos its starting to drive me mental.

fullyfitted 20:00 26 Nov 2003

think yourself lucky.
I got 129 today and they are all U S A based and have increased since I used E-Bay and Pay pal for a purchase from the States.

I know this topic has been hammered but is it worth changing my e-mail address and/or my I S P to try and avoid the deluge?

Any advice or comments welcome

Djohn 20:10 26 Nov 2003

I've just changed to a new ISP and therefore have a new e-mail address. What are the chances of this being picked up by the Spammers? So far I have only given it out to a few friends, and this Forum on re-registering of details. j.

VoG II 21:12 26 Nov 2003

You're obviously all getting mine click here

I now get one or two a day - if I'm lucky.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:16 26 Nov 2003

Spam isn't a problem. There are plenty of programmes that can filter out the spam mails and deleting them is not exactly an arduous task. On one of my accounts I get about 80 a day...it takes less than 2 minutes to delete them all.

G

obbit 21:23 26 Nov 2003

we shouldn't have to spend money to be spam free it should be stopped all together.

but the good old USA have agreed to apply a vote out option instead of vote in. i have always been told not to click on "remove me from mailing list" as this lets the 'orrible little tyke that sent it know you are there.

how does a law in this country apply overseas?

Macaonasa 21:41 26 Nov 2003

SPAM is a problem. Why should I have to see it at all, let alone spend time getting rid of it?

palinka 22:21 26 Nov 2003

I use Bigfoot's optional extra service ($9 approx a quarter) that, amongst other benefits, has cut spam to maybe one every 2 days. But recently i've found some of my mail very delayed (48 hours in one case) and I wonder if it is the amount of traffic - in the shape of spam - that's clogging the "wires".

Macaonasa 22:25 26 Nov 2003

I've discovered that Outlook Express isn't implementing my rules. I tested this by sending a mail fom my Yahoo account to my OE account with one of my banned words in the subject line - it still got through.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?