Spam emails

muffin1947 22:32 08 Sep 2007

My wife keeps getting lots of emails most of which originate in America and all of them are trying to sell something.What is the best way to put a stop to these emails.We just came back from a weeks holiday and she had a 158 emails of which 155 were spam.Any advise appreciated

DJ-Garry 22:50 08 Sep 2007

Hi to you.

I have my email addresses posted on my web site where they are found by trawlers. I get between 3 & 5 HUNDRED spam emails a DAY. My ISP marks nearly all of them as spam and I direct them to a seperate folder but still have to go through them because some legitimate emails are marked as smap and sent there too. I haven't found out how to stop them yet but will whatch this post to see if anyonr else has.

Garry

VoG II 22:59 08 Sep 2007
  muffin1947 23:00 08 Sep 2007

how do I get them redirected to a separate spam folder

Terry Brown 23:22 08 Sep 2007

I have set up my own 'Spam Filter', very simply by creating rules for all the people I want to hear from to go into folders -e.g. family,friends,work etc.- and leave the rest in the inbox. A quick check through will normally spot any other mail I want to keep. I aso use 'subject' filters,i.e. competitions, space exploration, and a few other subjects that are occasional emails, are dropped into one box for checking.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?