Spam email from windows live

steve0 15:16 09 Jan 2010

Just got an email from windows live saying that my hotmail account will be deleted unless I give all kinds of info. Says something about too many anomonous hotmail accounts so unless I reply soon mine will be deleted.

I'm sue this is bogus - anyone else had similar?

peter99co 15:27 09 Jan 2010

Is the info reqd unusual? Normally confidential?

steve0 16:16 09 Jan 2010

This is what the email says:

Dear Account User

This Email is from Hotmail Customer Care and we are sending it to every Hotmail Email User Accounts Owner for safety. we are having congestions due to the anonymous registration of Hotmail accounts so we are shutting down some Hotmail accounts and your account was among those to be deleted. We are sending this email to you so that you can verify and let us know if you still want to use this account. If you are still interested please confirm your account by filling the space below.Your User name, password, date of birth and your country information would be needed to verify your account.

Due to the congestion in all Hotmail users and removal of all unused Hotmail Accounts, Hotmail would be shutting down all unused Accounts, You will have to confirm your E-mail by filling out your Login Information below after clicking the reply button, or your account will be suspended within 24 hours for security reasons.

* Username: ..............................
* Password: ................................
* Date of Birth: ............................
* Country Or Territory: ................

After following the instructions in the sheet, your account will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Thanks for your attention to this request. We apologize for any inconveniences.

Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his/her account after two weeks of receiving this warning will lose his or her account permanently.
Sincerely,
The Windows Live Hotmail Team

Clapton is God 16:16 09 Jan 2010

Take time to read it again and note the awful English:

"we are having congestions" amongst others.

It's spam. Delete and ignore.

peter99co 16:19 09 Jan 2010

I judge that as too confidential and is therefore suspect. I would not answer date of birth or password for a start. Probably spam!

VCR97 18:33 09 Jan 2010

It's definitely spam. I've had this a couple of times. Have a look at the header and you'll see an address which is obviously not Microsoft. Right click then click View Message Source.

VCR97 18:48 09 Jan 2010

Discussed previously: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?