SP3 updates in toll bar

branb88 21:27 29 Oct 2008

I have tried many of times to install the updates for Windows XP, which I believe it is SP3 and security updates. It tells me it can not continue to install. Has any body had this problem, if so could let me know how to get this update installed. My computer then has to restore itself back to the way it was before I tried to install the updates.
Thanks

User-1229748 23:59 29 Oct 2008

just noticed you've got this post aswell,after you run ccleaner try and run windows update and try to run all the updates except sp3,then if they install run windows update again and if there are more updates try installing them leaving sp3.basically try installing all your updates until only sp3 is left.when fully updated then install sp3,good luck.

User-1229748 00:03 30 Oct 2008

if that fails download and run malwarebytes in case you've clicked on something you shouldn't haveclick here

User-1229748 00:07 30 Oct 2008

another to try after malwarebytes if still having problemsclick here

rdave13 00:36 30 Oct 2008

Way I installed SP3 on an older PC was, Control panel, security center, automatic updates, tick radio button for 'download updates for me but let me choose when to install them' click apply, ok.
Click on yellow shield in system tray (notification area) you should then get SP3's installer wizard notifying you to close ALL running programs before installation starts. Stopped Antivirus program running and clicked 'continue' on the install wizard. Went without a hitch.
Forgot to disconnect from the internet, though, while the AV was off but no calamity happened.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?