SP3 graphics probs?

tony-guitar 13:48 29 Aug 2009

Hi, since installing SP3 a couple of weeks ago, pages don't scroll properly any more. Instead of the usual 'jerky' style, it now kind-of refreshes the page instead. Another forum member suggested drivers may have been corrupted during the SP3 install and windows is using the onboard graphics, so i tried downloading updated ones from ATI, but ended up with all sorts of error/failure messages. I eventually managed to install from the original disc but the annoyance persists. Could the graphics card itself have failed? I'm running XP (A.S Rock / AMD motherboard with ATI Radeon 9000 card) Thanks for any help - Tony

GaT7 14:53 29 Aug 2009

Are there any problems in Device Manager? These will show up as exclamation marks.

Is the scroll/refresh problem any better in an alternative browser? Try Firefox click here & let us know.

What does a DirectX diagnostics test say on the Display tab click here (4th screenshot)? Are all the DirectX features enabled? Does it pass the 2 'tests' - DirectDraw & Direct3D? When these features are disabled/faulty I find my PC not quite running too well even in 2D tasks. G

tony-guitar 18:17 29 Aug 2009

Hi Crossbow7, Device Manager has an exc mark which when opened reads 'Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged (code19) I've not tried Firefox, stillwith IE6. Will upgrade when/if this is sorted. Before i go into the DirectX stuff, which is a bit over my head at this stage, does the above help? - Tony

tony-guitar 18:26 29 Aug 2009

I meant to add that the exclamation mark is next to "SIS Accelerated Graphics Port" in device manager

GaT7 19:08 29 Aug 2009

Try these 'SIS Accelerated Graphics Port' drivers, rebooting after installing each time:

Newer: click here

Older: click here

What's the model number of your motherboard please? G

P.S. DirectX diagnostics is just a simple test. Start > Run > type dxdiag & press OK. In the applet that opens, click on the 'Display' tab. Couldn't be simpler with screenshots as well

tony-guitar 20:54 29 Aug 2009

OK, i haven't tried the SIS drivers bit yet but having mislaid the motherboard manual, i tried your DirectX test and it came up with the following info: AS Rock K7S41GX , DirectX 9.0, main driver vga.dll

tony-guitar 21:22 29 Aug 2009

just a thought,and probably a really stupid question, but could the SP3 download somehow turned of the ATI graphics card during installation, requiring me to go 'in' and turn it back on?

GaT7 16:50 30 Aug 2009

Download & install the VGA drivers from Asrock click here - the "SiS AGP driver ver: 1.17" dated 10/17/2003.

"but could the SP3 download somehow turned of the ATI graphics card during installation, requiring me to go 'in' and turn it back on?" - it's possible that SP3 has corrupted/removed the graphics drivers, but not turned the graphics card off. You just don't have the official drivers installed for the integrated graphics.

"DirectX test and it came up with the following info: AS Rock K7S41GX , DirectX 9.0, main driver vga.dll" - vga.dll is a generic Windows graphics driver. I actually asked you to do the DirectX test to its features, but your info has confirmed you don't have the official drivers installed. Do this & it should be OK. G

GaT7 16:51 30 Aug 2009

'I actually asked you to do the DirectX test to test its features,...'. G

tony-guitar 17:13 30 Aug 2009

Hi crossbow7, i downloaded VGA drivers as requested but its a zip file called AGP_XP_2K_ME_98_741(1.17)(2) with a dozen or more separately labelled files. There wasn't an option to install. What do i do now?

GaT7 17:24 30 Aug 2009

Extract the contents using Windows own tool - right-click the file > Extract ALL... (or use 7-Zip click here), then double-click on SETUP. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?