Since SP3 cannot install usb hardware

EFC1878 19:06 29 Sep 2008

Since I have installed SP3 I cannot install any new hardware via my usb ports.

Any advice?

Technotiger 19:08 29 Sep 2008

Refresh your USB Ports. In Devices uninstall ALL your USB items, then re-start you computer. On re-start USB Ports will be refreshed.

EFC1878 19:22 29 Sep 2008

You might these are 'cowardly' questions but if I uninstall all the usb devices will they automatically be restarted when I re-boot the computer?

I take it they should be uninstalled one by one rather than the usb folder?

Sorry if I sound nervous - it is because I am....

Technotiger 19:28 29 Sep 2008

Un-install them all from within Device Manager in My Computer. They will all be re-installed when you re-start the PC.

Right-click on My Computer, then left-click on Properties, then on Hardware tab and on Device Manager. Then left-click on the + by Universal Serial Bus controllers. Then right-click on each entry and choose Uninstall. When done, re-start you computer. Each of your USB items will then be 'found' and installed!

Technotiger 19:31 29 Sep 2008

I have just noticed your other Thread, with the same subject - you should stick to just one thread!

Technotiger 19:36 29 Sep 2008

click here

EFC 1878 ... you should mark one of these threads as Resolved with the Green-tick, otherwise confusion will reign.

EFC1878 19:43 29 Sep 2008

I have done

In the separate post - again apologies for duplication - Fruit Bat mentioned uninstalling and re-booting and also changing the registry permissions to allow. I did ask if these were independent or follow on actions and what allow I should do.

Stuartli 19:50 29 Sep 2008

Await the anticipated response being posted in the same thread, along with any other suggestions...:-)

Technotiger 20:03 29 Sep 2008

Following on from Fruit Bat /\0/\'s suggestion which was the same as mine re Refresh USB Ports - try the Refresh as suggested, then if that does not work, then try the rest of Fruit Bat /\0/\'s response.

EFC1878 20:19 29 Sep 2008

I went to device manager and notice that with either one of the 'offendong' hardware device plugged in I am not getting the yellow question mark against any of the usb folders but they are against the 'other devices'. When I right click it then asks me to insert the software cd and tries to reinstall the drivers but fails.

Not sure if this makes a differnece but I thought I would mention it before I take any further action

Technotiger 20:24 29 Sep 2008

What 'others devices' have the yellow mark?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?