sp3 activation problem

seymx 09:42 07 Jul 2009

hello,
i've recently installed xp home sp2 (OEM version) but when i update to sp3 it doesn't let me go past the welcome screen and says i've got the wrong media type installed and have to reinstall windows i've tried reinstalling it twice and had no joy... is it due to xp being an OEM verion? if so, how can i get round this?

i've had a load of problems with psu needing replacing and the mobo battery needing replacing which knocked the dates out so my antivirus stopped working but these are sorted now

these are the details of my previous problems ....click here
cheers.... seymx

seymx 09:53 07 Jul 2009

sorry wrong link for previous probs in full ..click here

seymx 00:47 09 Jul 2009

anyone had this problem? please let me know...seymx

Salvador 01:23 09 Jul 2009

Other people have reported problems after installing SP3. Create a restore point and then use system restore to go back to a restore point before you first installed SP3. Hopefully that will have the effect of removing SP3 and restore your computer to normality.

Then make sure to select Custom updates instead of Automatic updates. Otherwise you will find youself lumbered with SP3 again.

Afterwards ensure that you have SP2 installed plus all the subsequent critical updates that are relevant to your computer.

seymx 00:04 15 Jul 2009

thanks for responding....
but how do it restore to a previous point if i can't get pass the welcome screen??

birdface 09:41 15 Jul 2009

Try in safe mode see if it will let you in that way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017