SP2 personal firewall blocks home network

deriko 09:10 27 Mar 2005

For a number of weeks i have been unable to access home network, now i have time to investigate i have found that with personal firewall turned OFF then access is ok (127.0.0.1 pings OK) but when firewall is on i cannot ping. I have added the home network IP addresses and 127.0.0.1 to the trusted zones but still no luck. I did install Mozilla Firefox a few weeks ago so it may be possible that the problem has arisen since then.

great1 09:38 27 Mar 2005

try going to

start> my network places> view network connections> right mouse click on your internet connection icon > click properties>click on the advanced tab>click on settings> make sure the dont allow exceptions IS NOT TICKED then click on exceptions make sure that the FILE AND PRINTER SHARING box IS TICKED click OK

if this fails try running the network set up wizard again

great1 09:49 27 Mar 2005

PS

You might need to do this on all pc's on your network

bremner 10:26 27 Mar 2005

Is your network built around a router?

If this is the case then this is most likely to have its own Firewall. If so I would switch off XP firewall on all machines.

deriko 11:08 27 Mar 2005

Thanks for your help, i've located the problem in Norton Internet Security/Personal Firewall/Advanced tab/windows file sharing (which was blocked), thanks for pointing me in the right direction o great1

great1 11:55 27 Mar 2005

i assumed it was the XP firewall that was causing the problem, didn't know you were using norton , do you use both?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?