SP2 info please

daisy2bell 10:11 11 Jan 2005

This is the 4th time that I have attempted to upgrade from win98SE to XP home.
All previous attempts have resulted in crashes freezes and all sorts of other wierd things.

This time however (touch wood) things seem to be running smoothly.

I do have one question though. Is it nessesary to install SP2.If so why? I have read so many stories about problems with programmes not running etc that I am rather worried about installing it.
Any advise on this please guys.

Thanks

Stuartli 10:20 11 Jan 2005

If you satisfied that your system is running smoothly, hold no fears about SP2, which includes all the SP1 updates plus those since.

You should first create a System Restore point and its name should clearly indicate that it was done for this purpose; the day and date are included automatically.

Ensure that you close down all running programs, utilities, screensavers etc before installing SP2.

If you do, by any chance, experience problems you can uninstall SP2 from Add/Remove Programs and use the System Restore point - however it's very doubtful you will need to do so.

Then install a superior firewall such as ZoneAlarm (free) and disable the Windows firewall.

SP2 is basically intended to make a system more secure for those who don't or can't be bothered to maintain levels of security, but addresses other issues as part of the operation.

Overview of SP2 at:

click here

daisy2bell 11:12 11 Jan 2005

"Ensure that you close down all running programs, utilities, screensavers etc before installing SP2."

Thanks. How do I close down everything in XP

Completealias 13:12 11 Jan 2005

Close down any apps that you have running the system tray most you just right click on then either exit or close. Don't have any other programs running ie office. Disable your screensaver by right click on desktop - properties - screensaver then choose none

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie