SP2 and firewall enabling

CurlyWhirly 07:24 26 Aug 2004

I have just installed SP2 and though I have come acroos NO problems so far what I can't understand is when I disable 'Windows firewall' (to avoid a conflict with my 'Mcafee Firewall Plus') it still shows under CONTROL PANEL > SECURITY CENTER as on?

This is despite me going to CONTROL PANEL > WINDOWS FIREWALL and clicking on 'off (Not recommended)'
How do I know whether my PC is protected with a firewall or not?
I want to turn OFF the Windows firewall as it doesn't offer outbound protection.
Has anybody had SP2 for a while and knows what to do as I have only had the download a few hours so I am still learning my way around it?
CW

johnsims 07:53 26 Aug 2004

You may need to do it in a different way. click here for an article about the SP2 firewall including instructions to configure it.

CurlyWhirly 08:06 26 Aug 2004

Thanks for your help but unfortunately I am not able to find 'McAfee Firewall Plus' in the list of programs to add to the exceptions list!
I don't know if it has anything to do with me having the firewall from AOL as I am an existing broadband member and it is part of my broadband package?
I am a bit stumped on this!
CW

CurlyWhirly 08:59 26 Aug 2004

I have found out now what is happening!
SP2 detects that a firewall is running whether it is the Windows firewall or a 3rd party one and I know this to be true as when I disabled the 3rd party firewall (along with Windows firewall) a warning was displayed on Control Center.
Thanks anyway,
CW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017