sp 3 possible problem

alansabout 12:15 22 Mar 2008

Hi all
I installed xp sp3 on 20th this month all seemed to be fine until next day within 30 min of boot up PC locking up, at first I suspected a hardware fault but I have a duel boot setup and all is well with my vista OS (sp1 installed OK)I have since been trying to un-install sp3 but it gets about halfway and than locks up, even in safe mode.It may well be unconnected with sp3 but it seems very suspect that all was OK before.I would appreciate any comments on this.
Thanks.

sunny staines 13:02 22 Mar 2008

if you can hang on the rumor is xp sp3 final comes out next week, if it does it will correct any failings in the last version, but if you are still on the original beta you will need to unistal it first.

dabthoms 13:02 22 Mar 2008

Just thought I'd mention a posting I made yesterday headed "RS232 serial port not working". I've now resolved that problem which I believe was as a result of updating with SP3. I too initially tried to uninstall SP3 to no avail. It also screwed up ZoneAlarm too but I sorted that only by uninstalling it then reinstalling. Not that this is of any assistance to you but it does seem SP3 is an update to be very careful with.

Stuartli 13:07 22 Mar 2008

I've had no problems at all with the last SP3 Beta release, the first one I've tried.

I did do a full defrag after installing it, along with a Before and After full backuup.

birdface 13:17 22 Mar 2008

Downloaded and ran SP3 when it first came out and have experienced no faults with it.But saying that my computer froze completely during the week The only way I could fix it was to hold the power switch down until it switched off.Normally after you do that when you switch back on you normally get a notice that the computer was not switched of correctly etc.But no notice this time.First time it has ever done that.But it could have been a different fault.

alansabout 16:00 22 Mar 2008

sunny staines I think it is the final version I folowed the tips in the latest copy of pcav page31-32 and dowloaded it through the windows update page.

Stuartli 16:09 22 Mar 2008

The final version of SP3 has still to be released - you may be confusing it with Vista SP1.

alansabout 12:07 24 Mar 2008

Hi stuartli. No am not confusing it with vista sp1 I have that installed OK. with xp sp3 you have to trick! your PC into downloading it from the windows update page. "xp sp2 wasn't posted on download center as a manual download instead it is delivered via windows update, to pull sp3 from windows update users must trick their PC into thinking it's allowed to do that. A small 38kb file- this is what you need from download center-hacks the windows registry and Viola! your in"(pc advisor page31-32 may issue} This is a cut down version of what is in the article. As I said all went well for the first few hours but it is very sick now.

kdt 12:24 24 Mar 2008

sp3 thru windows update about 66mb download better than the standalone version which is around 330 or so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?