Source Code Block??

Damo. 22:10 30 Nov 2004

I've spent weeks and weeks creating a unique site for my company, but am wondering how I go about blocking people viewing the source code?

Is there anyway to do this? and is it worth the trouble?

I'm using Dreamweaver studio MX

Thanks
Damo

barryoneoff.co.uk 22:55 30 Nov 2004

much point really, after all, with a bit of coding experience you can look at most sites and see how the design was put together without viewing the source. Anyone, especially another Dreamweaver user, would be able to mimic the site.

Forum Editor 23:18 30 Nov 2004

you can get a source code blocker that will protect your html (and a lot more), but think long and hard before doing it.

The internet has grown into what it is today by having an open-door ethos. You can get ideas from others and they can get them from you. In a sense we're part of that process here, in the forum. You've come here for advice, and we're offering it......free of charge. I wouldn't dream of saying to you "Yes, I know the answer to your question, but it took me years to gain my experience, and I'm not about to let you have the benefit of it for nothing".

Consider whether you should really have anything to be concerned about - your site may be good, indeed it might be excellent, but you won't have done anything that hasn't been done before, and I doubt that your company would suffer one iota if someone copied a snatch of your code, or even if someone downloaded the entire site to their hard drive.

My personal advice is to forget about it, and join the millions of others who happily allow their code to be viewed and/or copied, but if you're still intent on keeping it hidden from view
click here

Damo. 18:58 02 Dec 2004

Thanks for the advice Barry and FE, it was just something I was looking into really, now I know there's nothing to be worried about.

Regards
Damo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache