soundmon.exe

Jayne doe 23:36 10 Mar 2005

Evening all. Sues computer keeps throwing up a meaasgae that says windows cant fine soundmon.exe. Because it cant find it it takes ages to boot up properly. This happened after an adaware scan found several suspect files and she deleted them. Where can I find a copy of this please and where does it go? Ive tried searching for it on my puter but it dont show up. Thanks. BTW she has win xp on 3000 amd puter.

woodchip 23:40 10 Mar 2005

Try this, Go into Control Panel, Windows Sound and turn of the Startup sound and shut down sound

JayDay 08:43 11 Mar 2005

Are you sure it's not soundman.exe?? This file relates to the System Tray icon for the Realtek AC97 Audio Sound Manager for AC97 onboard audio. Available via Start -> Settings-> Control Panel.

According to Sysinfo.org click here you can delete from the startup routine.

Jayne doe 08:56 11 Mar 2005

morning all
tried turning sound off no difference and yes it is definately soundmon.exe and not soundman.exe. I have noe tried running spybot and adaware. Run stinger ets. emptied all cookies and history and temp files. Defragged. Re booted and it still looks for soundmon.exe. Takes age but once the error box comes saying it cant be found the puter works ok. What is it and how to delete it or restore it please? Did google search found many other with same problem in various newsgroups. The only solution I have read so far is to reinstsal windows...a daunting task. Thanks for trying.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:33 11 Mar 2005

I would be interested in the result of this as a friend of mine has a computer with a similar problem.

G

woodchip 15:35 11 Mar 2005

Try running Restore, From Start\Programs\Accessories\Tools\Restore

rômanab 15:43 11 Mar 2005

It doesn't look like you want to put it back click here

Seems from this to be some sort of malware.

woodchip 15:52 11 Mar 2005
  Jayne doe 17:33 11 Mar 2005

woodchip that link is in french or something but I get the message. soundmon is a virus that is trying to run on boot up, so I have downloded deleter, run it but soundmon.exe is still there on reboot??? Im not that technical but I must be missing something here. I will go back later and turn sys restore off then boot into safe mode and run deleter again and adaware and stinger. Will keep you posted. This is really frustrating. Received from a newsgroup was this

...with soundmon.exe you will have to format and reinstall windows and all programs. It is a hidden file with a different name in sys32 somewhere so you cant track it down with the search facility, that reinstalls itself each time the computer starts. Its the only way I have found to kill it. Done it loads of times and I still am not sure if its a virus or a part of windows. I did manage to delete it once but then the computer refused to boot at all. Techpete.

I dont want to do this! Help!

rômanab 17:37 11 Mar 2005

Looks like a job for Nellie2.

I'll see if I can find her for you.

Jayne doe 18:40 11 Mar 2005

whose Nellie2?
update. Turned off sys restore. reboot in safe mode (f8)Ran adaware stinger and spybot. Came up with 3 at risk files so deleted them. Defragged in safe mode as well. There isnt much on this machine so didnt take long. Shut it down and rebooted....and it took ages to boot again then the error message popped up saying 'cant find soundmon.exe'. I'm lost with this looks like it will have to be a new insatll. Damn! Im puzzled as to why no one seems to know what it really is? Thanks for input you guys. Jayne.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone