Soundless

Josquius 21:30 24 Sep 2004

A computer here has no sound, I reformated thinking a iffy driver could be it though the sound is still not here afterwards.
Windows xp recognises no sound and says that there is none when you try and play something.
The problem is I don't know what hardware this computer is, the sound is internal on the motherboard though I haven't a clue what sort it is.
How would I find this out on the computer?
Something you must use 'run' for? I can find little just on 'system' et all.

citadel 22:15 24 Sep 2004

download belarc advisor to find out what the motherboard is, plus info on what else is on your computer.

Zaphod Beeblebrox 23:16 24 Sep 2004

citadel has hit the nail on the head run belarc or aida to find out what motherboard you have then check the site out. if you are not sure give mobo details we can have a look for you

Belarc click here
Aida32 click here

Josquius 11:23 26 Sep 2004

Is there a way to install drivers manually from the files contained in them?
I believe I have the right driver though the setup file always brings up some strange box with a bunch of numbers in it then exits, there are a lot of other files abhout though,

Josquius 18:03 27 Sep 2004

thump?

Dorsai 18:16 27 Sep 2004

You will need drivers, as said above. To find out the on board sound system, so you know which drivers, belarc advisor, also as suggested, should ID the sound system. then you will know what drivers to get.

However,

If the on board sound is disabled in the bois, i don't know if belarc will detect it, but would guess not. If belarc does not detect any sound system, then you may well have to go into the bois, and, in effect, turn it on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?