Soundcard not working

joolzski 17:09 02 Jul 2009

Ok i have a problem with my soundcard. Even before i have put my new soundcard in and try and play some music it tells me there is no audio device to play this or someting similair, which is strange because my brother had no problem playing music on it before he gave it to me. When i add my new soundcard and install my softare/drivers it tells me there is another sound device installed and they may conflict with each other. I install everything then try to disable what is already there but cant seem to find anything to disable. Im not sure what to do here as when the new soundcard is in i cant seem to play any music or hear anything. Also when i did try to play something my pc restarted??? Any ideas

Stuartli 17:19 02 Jul 2009

It could well be because you have a motherboard with an on-board sound chipset, probably a Realtek or C-Media example.

If so, you will need to Disable the on-board device in the Bios, which will be listed most likely as AC'97 (Audio Codecs '97).

Your motherboard manual will detail how to get into the Bios.

joolzski 17:25 02 Jul 2009

Ok thanks for that advice i will try it now and if it doesnt work, i will rack your brains again.

Cheers

Joolzski

joolzski 17:49 02 Jul 2009

Hi i have disabled the AC97 in the bios but still no sound. It appears to play something but no sound as yet??

Stuartli 20:18 02 Jul 2009

From Start>Settings>Sounds and Audio Devices>Audio and Voice tabs, ensure that your Sound Card is the Default Audio Device where necessary.

Also check out the Volume tab at the same time to ensure that Volume is not muted and that other settings are correct.

One more point. Go to:

click here

and download the latest version of the K-Lite Audio and Video Codecs Full Pack; when you install it you can configure what is required from a drop down menu. Choose Number 8 (Lots of Stuff).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?