Soundcard connections

Dumble452 14:17 19 Sep 2005

I've just put in a new soundcard to replace on board sound. A budget card from Novatech Mercury CMI-8738 5.1 CH. Which sounds great but I have 2 optical drives and have come up against a problem. There is a cd-in connection which is fool proof but the aux-in connection is just 4 pins. Which way round should I connect the plug from the 2nd drive? Thanks

Stuartli 14:39 19 Sep 2005

I don't know what your current onboard sound chipset is, but your Novatech CMI (C-Media) 8738 is the PCI version/equivalent of C-Media's (excellent) onboard sound chipset offering.

This chipset and the even better 9738 followup offer remarkable value for money and the PCI versions have been available for some time from around £4 to £6 upwards.

I used the 8738 onboard sound for four years until I was given a SoundBlaster Live! and there wasn't all that much in it in the end, with the Live! producing a somewhat more solid overall sound via my IBM 2.1 system; however the C-Media's clean, transparent sound quality was remarkable, along with its 3D capabilities.

Here's C-Media's website for drivers etc:

click here

PS

If your computer system is suitably cabled, you may not need to connect the CD/DVD drives directly to the card.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:46 19 Sep 2005

No need to connect CD / DVd drives to Sound card, just ensure that in device manager right click on the drives select properties then properties tab. Check the box enable digital CD audio for this device.

Dumble452 15:06 19 Sep 2005

It sounds really good. I'm more than chuffed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone