Soundcard

laurie53 09:05 16 Jul 2007

I recently bought a new mobo and decided not to install my three year old Soundblaster card as the on board sound (AC3) would probably be more up to date and better.

However, I'm not impressed with the results I'm getting.

Is it worth installing the Soundblaster, even at 3 years old?

I'm not a great music downloader, just the odd radio programme.

Gongoozler 12:15 16 Jul 2007

Onboard sound is very variable in quality, some makers do a good job of it but some are mediocre. There's nothing to lose by trying your 3 year old Soundblaster - you can always take it out again if the results aren't as good as your onboard.

Totally-braindead 12:17 16 Jul 2007

Yes its definatly worth it, onboard sound has come on leaps and bounds in recent years but the Soundblaster range of cards are better than the onboard no question at all. Also might be worth seeing if theres an updated driver for your onboard sound, I personally find my onboard sound to be quite acceptable and feel no need to get another card.

laurie53 14:03 16 Jul 2007

Thanks everybody, I'll give it a whirl.

I already had updated drivers for my old mobo, so they should still be somewhere in my downloads!

laurie53 20:30 16 Jul 2007

Just an update.

Couldn't get the old card to work - original drivers on the CD wouldn't install (major errors, please inform microsoft etc etc), and the updated driver won't install unless it can find the old one.

I've been at it for six hours and I think that's long enough!

Gongoozler 21:38 16 Jul 2007

What version of Windows and what Soundblaster card?

laurie53 08:19 17 Jul 2007

XP Home, Live 5.1 (3 or 4 years old, no longer supported according to Creative website)

Gongoozler 09:32 17 Jul 2007

Try this one click here

Gongoozler 09:33 17 Jul 2007

Sorry, ignore that one - it's for Windows 98.

Gongoozler 09:37 17 Jul 2007

This one might work click here

Gongoozler 10:13 17 Jul 2007

I have McAfee Site Advisor Firefox extension, and it indicates that the site I linked to is OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?