Soundblaster Live 5.1 Direct X 9c Compatibility

Photographica1 20:06 24 Aug 2006

Hi All,

Having a problem with a game. Is this card compatible with Direct x 9c?

coolkid2 20:07 24 Aug 2006

wat card

coolkid2 20:08 24 Aug 2006

do u mean the Soundblaster Live 5.1

Photographica1 20:14 24 Aug 2006

Yes thats the one!

Jackcoms 20:15 24 Aug 2006

"do u mean the Soundblaster Live 5.1"

I rather think so, don't you?

Photographica1 - my Soundblaster Live is perfectly compatible with Direct X 9.0c.

coolkid2 20:16 24 Aug 2006

sorry - didnt read the title

gudgulf 20:20 24 Aug 2006

Try looking for drivers for a SoundBlaster live 5.1 and you will find the most recent are more than 4 years old......which means that no,they dont support DirectX9c.

There are a number of issues with recent games and the old Live 5.1 cards.

That's why I reverted to the onboard sound on my own pc....not just as good but very close and up to date drivers available........Well at least until a couple of weeks ago when I added one of these click here and the diference is to say the least large.That's still an expensive solution even in OEM form.

Try using your onboard sound with up to date drivers and remove the SoundBlaster.

Also do a GOOGLE search for "live 5.1 and the game in question" to see if it is a common problem.

gudgulf 20:29 24 Aug 2006

That does not mean they are fully compatible with Dx9. Yes they do work with MOST DirectX 9 games but there are issues with some.

I even tried a "Workaround" once, using some modified Chinese drivers that fooled the system into thinking I was running a more up to date Audigy.It sorted the sound problems I had with Serious Sam 2 for example but not a good solution.

The last drivers from Creative were,I think dated 2002.

Jackcoms 20:33 24 Aug 2006

"they do work with MOST DirectX 9 games but there are issues with some".

Ah, we've now got to the crux of the matter - people who use their PCs for games rather than proper computing.

I stopped playing 'games' when I changed from shorts to long trousers - and that's many, many years ago.

gudgulf 21:44 24 Aug 2006

"Ah, we've now got to the crux of the matter - people who use their PCs for games rather than proper computing."

I'm well aware of your views on games,lol.

I'm 50 years old and shorts come out only in exceptionally hot weather!

I also have children!

AND..........I admit I have not fully grown up when it comes to how I spend my leisure time.......but working in a busy A+E hospital for the last 20 years does that to you.

And when it comes down to it..DirectX 9 sound is almost exclusively used in games...not for proper computing like typing in Word.So that's where you will get the problems showing up.

Jackcoms 21:46 24 Aug 2006

"I'm 50 years old"

"I also have children!"

Ditto

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?