'Sound' when e-mail received ?

Furkin 08:07 05 Sep 2009

My neighbour has asked me to make his laptop 'chime' when he receives e-mails.

He uses Vista (of which I have no idea). I went into: control panel > sounds. I scrolled down a bit & found the E-Mail icon. I clicked that & he picked a 'chime'. At first nothing happened,,,, until I looked at his Volume control, which was turned right down.
I turned it up & did a 'Test'. The required 'chime' sounded & all seemed o.k.
I got a message from him last night saying that he dosn't get chime in real life.

Where I use O.Express, he uses whatever BT-Internet comes up with.

Any ideas please ?

Technotiger 08:35 05 Sep 2009

BT Internet usually 'comes up' with Yahoo - though I don't use OE or Yahoo so can't accurately advise you further.

Perhaps you could go to Yahoo and their FAQ.

Technotiger 08:37 05 Sep 2009

If he used Incredimail, he would have a choice of plenty of different email notifier sounds.

mikef. 08:47 05 Sep 2009

have a look here click here you need to load the BT Yahoo tool bar

Furkin 09:06 05 Sep 2009

TT:
Hi again. He did use Incredimail when he first went to BT, but not sure if he still does.

Mike:
Cheers mate. Had a quick look,,,,will pop round to see him shortly & have another go, with that info.

As in OP, I can access the actual choices in his C.Panel > Sounds,,,, and although it works when 'testing',,, it dosn't seem to work in practice.

Technotiger 09:08 05 Sep 2009

When you are there - send a test email to yourself/himself :-)

Cymro. 11:42 05 Sep 2009

The problem with having the BT tool bar is that for Email notification the browser would have to be running. So I have downloaded a small program called Eprompter. It is a little fiddly to first set up but I find it very convenient. It flashes an icon and makes a sound whenever I receive an Email.
Here is one of the many sites from which you can download it.
click here

The Kestrel 12:01 05 Sep 2009

I use thunderbird for my emails and this has a default sound for incoming emails.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone