Sound schemes have disappeared

SB23 15:42 24 Sep 2006

Although not a serious problem, I've noticed that all my sound schemes have gone.
I have no sounds on startup or shut down, and Avast doesn't tell me now when its updated, (it used to), although its sound settings have not been touched.
Anyone with any ideas.

Splodge 16:03 24 Sep 2006

I may be wrong but, if you go to control panel; system; hardware; device manager; sound, video and games controllers and click on the correct audio item it should re-install the driver!

SB23 16:10 24 Sep 2006

All present and correct.

If I play a video, album, or whatever, I've got sound, but just not when I turn on or off my system, or when Avast updates.

SB23 12:25 25 Sep 2006

If found this site click here with help from previous users of the forum, but do not seem to be able to do anything with it.
No 211 is what I'm interested in, but when I click on it, it opens in notepad, but am completely lost as to what to do with it after that.
I've tried to follow the instructions at the top of the page with no luck.
Can some kind person point me in the right direction please?

Steve

VoG II 12:31 25 Sep 2006

Try in Internet Explorer - it doesn't work in Firefox.

Stuartli 12:34 25 Sep 2006

Go to Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Sounds tab and check that the various sounds are still Enabled for the particular services you require.

SB23 13:56 25 Sep 2006

VoG™
Tried that, no luck I'm afraid.

Stuartli
Checked that aswell, reset to default, but still no sounds on startup etc.

Stuartli 14:32 25 Sep 2006

In the Audio tab of the same suggestion, is your sound device set as the Default?

SB23 14:41 25 Sep 2006

Under the Audio tab, the default devices have 2 options. Either Creative Soundblaster 24bit, or Modem#0 Line Playback.

Stuartli 16:06 25 Sep 2006

Well it's clearly the Creative SoundBlaster...:-)

SB23 20:55 07 Oct 2006

Problem is now sorted. As it happens I had to reinstall my OS all over again due to something causing the pc to stop booting. Doing this fresh install gave me all my sound back.

Thanks for your replies anyway

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?