sound recorder help

patso 21:03 22 Jun 2005

can anyone explain exactly hoe to use sound recorder to record a sound track off a dvd as when i tried to use it through the head phone socket to the mic input it was only recording 60 secs of sound and when i tried to open it there was no sound at all.i am after buying another lead which is a 3.5 mil audio lead .i posted this q before and tried the responses but am i doing something wrong.any help please.im using xp home and sp2

square eyes 21:18 22 Jun 2005

Yes, that used to a problem with win 98, only 60 secs recording (fairly useless).
My best advice would be to buy a sound card, with software, they will record tracks for you with no problem. You could probably pick one up for not much more than a tenner. Try pcworld, high street pc shops, and if you able look here click here

patso 21:28 22 Jun 2005

square eyes i am using xp so are you saying that its my sound card that will only record 60 seconds of files using recorder?

stalion 21:39 22 Jun 2005
  square eyes 21:41 22 Jun 2005

Im not sure what the deafult program is for sound on xp. I tried to do same on an old laptop with 98 and had same problem.
I now have a new computer with a proper sound card installed and not motherboard integrated sound, which sounds like what you have.
Look for "Mp3 My Mp3 Recorder 2.0 pop" and
click here=

install it and see if you can record, i havent tried it but shoudl work.
Also, have you a sound card that you know of?
What does it say in sound in the control panel?

patso 21:51 22 Jun 2005

it says sound max digital audio and tried imtoo asudio ripper great prog but free download only rips 5 mins off each track

square eyes 22:11 22 Jun 2005

Im out of ideas im afraid, maybe try some more programs. g'luck

Guys?

(If this thread dies, start up another one, not many have replied to this and i know there are people on this forum who will help more than me.)

kimjhon 00:26 23 Jun 2005

patso Are you trying to record sound coming out of you PC speakers?

If so, d/click speaker icon for play control | options | properties |hit radio button for 'recording' | OK | see if there is a 'What you hear' facility

If there is you can record the DVD sound using SoundRecorder.

Make a long silent file in s/recorder by 'inserting' silent files until you have a silent file of the required length. Open the long silent file in s/recorder and record over it. 'Save as' if you want to keep the silent file for using another time.

If you have no 'What u Hear' facility download the free 'Audacity' and use that instead of SoundRecorder.

patso 13:12 23 Jun 2005

dcdc will try as you suggest when i get home.in work now.im trying to record audio tracks from a dvd to put on to cd for listening in the car and any way will do .how do i insert silent files as the dvd is an hour and a half long and i was hoping to just record the songs individually to make an ordinary cd . thanks for the suggestions by the way

kimjhon 15:51 23 Jun 2005

patso In s/r hit record when no sounds are on your PC. Save the resultant one minute file, then go to where you have saved it and copy it. Then open one of the files in s/r and hit edit|insert| and pick the copy file. Now you have a file lasting 2 minutes. And so on...

Then open S/r and play your 90 min silent file. Hit record when your dvd starts playing.
Once you do this you can keep the long silent file to use next time by using 'Save As' when you save your DVD sound recording.

You will copy this to CD using Nero, yes? So it will be one continuous track.

You can split it up using Audacity.click here Prob better using this to do everything.

ashdav 16:15 23 Jun 2005

You can use Audacity to record any sound that comes out of your speakers by selecting the source to record as stereo mixer. The downside is it has to be done in real time. Set the file type (input) as raw data.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone