Sound problems on my compaq laptop-please help!!!

thedon_bianca 13:52 29 Apr 2008

I have a compaq laptop and recently its been a bit slow but I didnt think that was anything to worry about, last night I shut down the laptop and it took hours to do that. When I switched it on this morning everything was working fine except when I went on Windows Media Player to listen to some music (all purchased legally)this message came up; 'Windows Media Player can not play this file because there is a problem with your sound device....' I really dont know where to start on fixing it so if anyone could help that would be great!

Taff™ 14:13 29 Apr 2008

It sounds like the slow shut down might be down to configuring automatic updates. Can you check that first. Have you had XP SP3 installed for example?

thedon_bianca 14:53 29 Apr 2008

How do I check for that?

thedon_bianca 19:07 29 Apr 2008

Whats an XP SP3 and how would I go about checking for that? I went on the sound thing and all the boxes were greyed out. Then I went on run mconfig and the box next to windows audio was ticked but it wasnt running it said stopped but i dont know how to make it run again, any suggestions??

Taff™ 20:16 29 Apr 2008

Which Operating System are you on? (Windows XP or Vista?) - Sorry watching the football! (Sad or what!)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:39 29 Apr 2008

Do you have a CD that came with the PC with all the drivers on? you may need to reinstall the sound drivers.

Try device manager right click the sound card select properties - driver tab - update driver.

thedon_bianca 21:54 29 Apr 2008

in reply to taff im on windows xp

thedon_bianca 21:56 29 Apr 2008

in reply to fruit bat i went in2 device manager but it said that it couldnt update my sound thingys cause it was already at its most up to date

thedon_bianca 21:59 29 Apr 2008

oh and i sont have anything that originally came with the laptop sorry :-s if it helps I got it the xmas before last so thats how old it is, dunno if thats any help...

woodchip 22:00 29 Apr 2008

Try running System Restore to before the Problem

thedon_bianca 22:03 29 Apr 2008

how do i run system restore?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?