Sound Problems.

ribo 17:13 25 Jun 2007

Can anyone help me please.
I have an Asus A7N8X Motherboard with on board sound. XP Home SP2.
I have lost all sound. In device manager there are no yellow exclamation marks.
I have tried updating the drivers with no result.
I have recently put in a new Graphics card. I had to install the drivers for the old one before installing the new drivers. Could I have done something then?.They are both nVidia.
As far as I can recall,it seems as though this has been a gradual process of sound loss,but I can not be sure.
If it is a problem with my onboard sound. Can I install a sound card and does it go into a PCI slot. Thanks in anticipation J

brundle 17:18 25 Jun 2007

Try installing sound drivers again; click here

skidzy 17:22 25 Jun 2007

Hopefully reinstalling the sound drivers again as Brundle suggests will sort you out,however if no joy...try the codec pack click here this will replace any damaged or missing audio codecs.

ribo 17:53 25 Jun 2007

Thank you both for your help. Neither suggestions worked.
Could it be the onboard sound "card". ?
Any further help will be greatly appreciated.
I have been throught the search forum. Thanks J

brundle 17:55 25 Jun 2007

The sound chip is very near the AGP slot on that board - do you have any audio ports on the front of your PC connected to the pins next to the first PCI slot? Can you hear anything from the PC if you play an audio CD ?

ribo 18:33 25 Jun 2007

I have not connected the audio ports on the front of the tower.
I cannot hear any sound when I play an audio CD.

brundle 18:40 25 Jun 2007

It does sound (or not) like a hardware problem.
Have you checked the on board audio is enabled in the BIOS? Hit Del during boot up, look for the heading Integrated Peripherals.

It may be stating the obvious but have you checked all the settings in Control Panel/Sounds & Audio Devices and checked to make sure nothing is muted?

If you remove the audio drivers, does the PC ask for drivers when you re-boot?

ribo 19:05 25 Jun 2007

Is my face red.
I am most terribly sorry to have caused you trouble trying to solve my problem. When I checked in the control panel/sounds and audio devices.Nothing was muted BUT the "Sound Scheme" showed "no sound" ( I changed this to windows default) and the audio was set to an USB audio Device.!!!. I changed this to the nVidia sound chip and now all is well.
I really am sorry and do thank you for your help. J

brundle 19:30 25 Jun 2007

No problem at all, it's easy to overlook the simple things eh

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017