Sound problem on XP

281apple 14:16 12 Dec 2010

Hi, I'm trying to help a friend out of a problem. He has XP and now no longer has any sound. He can play a CD or a DVD and hear sound, but can't hear sound when he computer starts up or shuts down nor on Skype. We live a long way from each other and I tried to help him by telephone but did not succeed to find the sound problem. This is what we did: Checked out sound recording in Accessories but got no sound back. Checked out Sound on the Panel Configuration, but no sound was played back, checked ou Sound on Systems and still no sound. All cables were checked three times, unplugged and then replugged. Just finished upgrading all sound peripherals and they say they are all functional. I give up. Is there anything else to verify please.

Ian in Northampton 15:33 12 Dec 2010

Have you looked in your volume control? If it's anything like mine (which I think is standard XP stuff) you'll have separate sliders *and mute controls) for 'master', 'wave', 'software synth', 'line' and 'CD'. It sounds like e.g. the wave one may be turned all the way down or is muted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone