Sound Problem

pprbh 20:47 05 Jan 2006

Hi

Have AC'97 onboard sound. Was working fine but start up/log off sounds and all other Win XP sounds now not working. Still plays music and video files though.

Also tried plugging speakers into 'Line Out' (middle of three jack sockets at back of PC) but nothing. Sound comes only when plugged into 'Line in'(Blue) or 'Mic'.

Checked the BIOS which is enabled, drivers appear fully installed. Device Manager shows no errors or conflicts.

Ant ideas please?

VoG II 20:49 05 Jan 2006

Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Sounds tab, Sound Scheme dropdown. Check that it is not set to 'No sounds'.

ade.h 20:49 05 Jan 2006

So the sound output is now going throught the inputs?! Weird.

I assume that you have checked your current Windows sound scheme? It can be changed sometimes, such as when installing a new desktop theme like Royale.

ade.h 20:50 05 Jan 2006

Great minds...

...post at the same time!

pprbh 21:03 05 Jan 2006

tried control panel. Still the same. Anything else I can check? Thanks

Thatslife 21:10 05 Jan 2006

I had a similar problem but in reverse!

It started after I updated the driver to the most recent. Couldn't figure out what the problem was so I rolled back to the previous driver and it works fine.

pprbh 23:08 05 Jan 2006

Sorted the problem. The connector linking the audio sockets at the front of the PC Tower Case has come away from the F-Audio connector on the motherboard. On re-connecting, the Win XP default sounds and 'Line In' socket now work as normal. Did test it again by disconnecting the F-Audio and same problem as earlier. Cheers

ade.h 23:56 05 Jan 2006

Glad it's sorted.

Tick as resolved?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?