Sound only from right side after installing/removing tv tune card

MouzurX 15:44 14 Dec 2013
Answered

A few days ago I placed a TV tuner card in my computer and removed it after(only needed it for 1 evening). However I fear that I scratched my motherboard or did something else to mess it up.

Right after my music was still fine, but now a few days later there is no left-side audio. It happens on both my speakers and my headset, and I checked both the front plug and the backplug. Both headset and speakers work fine when connected to my phone.

My frontplug is connected through 9 wires with the motherboard, I checked if i didn't pull this out. Backplug is connected directly with mothboard through a small casing, so can't see if something is wrong there. But since the problem occurs with both front and back, it has to be a problem directly on the motherboard.

I have two questions: 1. Is there anything else I can check/do? 2. With the type of problem I am having, will buying a cheap audiocard fix the problem? As in, if I install an audiocard will any faults in the motherboard still cause the problem to persist?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:07 14 Dec 2013

Uninstall all audio drivers in device manger then reboot and let windows find new hardware and reinstall the drivers.

see (hear) what happens next.

MouzurX 16:17 14 Dec 2013

Done, didn't solve the problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:27 14 Dec 2013

Check the Windows Volume Mixer to ensure that the sliders are centralised

If your Volume Mixer is not display in the System Tray, right-click the Taskbar, click Properties, and ensure that the Volume checkbox is marked

MouzurX 16:34 14 Dec 2013

All sliders are at maximum(100 left and right).

The only weird thing I noticed is when I go to the volume mixer through the system tray. If I mute my speakers, everything will show a mute button, but the music still plays(i can still hear it).

If i directly click on mute for itunes or an other music program(youtube), then it does stop playing.

But might not be related to my current issue.

Does any of you know if buying a cheap audiocard would have a good chance of solving the problem? Or would the motherboard still keep causing problems?

BRYNIT 16:39 14 Dec 2013

Try system restore to a time just before you installed the TV card

MouzurX 17:00 14 Dec 2013

Did not solve the problem. Thanks for help so far guys. Any other ideas?

rdave13 17:43 14 Dec 2013
Answer

For a test, right click the audio icon and select playback devices. Click on your speakers then click on the configure tab. Select stereo for a 2.1 system. You can do a series of tests there. If the left speaker shows it's working but no sound it could be something wrong on the mobo. You could also check out these cheap usb sound cards and try a cheap one first. Amazon.

MouzurX 21:48 14 Dec 2013

Okay thanks, will try a USB card :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?