sound icon dissappeared

justkevin 10:52 14 May 2007

My sound icon has gone,device manager shows the driver "is ok but the device may not work" the device a yellow exclamation mark itis C-Media AC97 Audio Device built into a Gigabyte motherboard.
The " sounds & Media" in control panel show playback greyed out as the device isn't working.
Show icon box in taskbar is also greyed out.The sound volume slider is not greyed out but won't slide.

I have tried uninstalling the device and reinstalling but still no sound.Are there other drivers I can try?

birdface 11:01 14 May 2007

Try,Control panel,Administrative tools,Services, Scroll down till you get to Windows Audio,Make sure it is set to automatic.

birdface 11:17 14 May 2007

This from a previous thread,click here

justkevin 12:15 14 May 2007

HI Buteman
I don't have Windows Audio listed at all

birdface 12:29 14 May 2007

Oops.I would have thought that all computers would have Windows Audio listed in administrative tools, Services.I will need to leave it for someone else to confirm or not.Unless maybe you are not using XP.

birdface 12:31 14 May 2007

Have you tried the Bios,Like Trickyhicky done in the click here that I sent.

justkevin 17:12 14 May 2007

Hi no I am not using xp but 2000 Professional,there are 2 services listed but they are nothing to do with audio.I did the Bios thing and audio appeared there it was also marked enabled.It shows up in Add Remove hardware as having a yellow exclamation mark against it.

birdface 21:47 14 May 2007

In device manager,Try to up-date the driver .see if that works.

justkevin 23:53 14 May 2007

I've tried to update driver in device manager but I get the message "the driver is ok but the device may not work!

birdface 10:34 15 May 2007

click here& = Hi,You could try this,Worked for my son,but he was on XP home Edition.If it works ,Microsoft will try and download the old version again,If you download it your sound will stop again,So stop the download.

chub_tor 10:50 15 May 2007

If it is not a driver problem then it is just possible that you have a hardware failure and that the AC97 device has been damaged in some way - shorting the speakers perhaps? If so you can add a new sound card in a spare PCI slot and try again. Either beg, borrow or buy a simple sound card, they are relatively cheap. You should disable the internal AC97 in the BIOS first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?